This session begins by making a compelling case for why a new rulebook is needed to succeed in Agriculture sales in today’s economy, and debunks commonly held assumption about what’s needed to be a producer sales leader going forward into the future. Next, Colleen offers detailed, prescriptive advice that producers can implement right away to help their operations thrive and for the people they lead to prosper.
1. The Farmer buying processes have changed and continue to change every year
· Demographic shifts: not a single Ag marketplace anymore but many
· Age shifts: the younger generation of producers now sell to the older customers
· Technology shifts: access to people, equipment and inputs has been democratized
· Needs shifts: markets (producers, suppliers, and customers) now go online to meet needs
· Trust is out. Producers as experts are in
2. Your current sales approach is not appropriate for the new farmer buying process
· It’s not about just making the sale anymore
· Focus now is on managing customers and the sales after the sale (and after the sale, and after the sale…)
· Producers can’t just show up to the marketplace face to face anymore: connecting with many people in many places in the new requirement
3. You know more than you think
· Your access to continuous data allows you to complete deep research and gain new insights about prospects and market competitors, but it also requires constant updating
· Zeroing-in and going macro with market research like never before is mandatory for success!
· …And by the way, your customers know more than you think too! (So does your competition)